Saturday, March 26, 2011

Nerves as roots

To test the mechanism of the serpin off growth and serine protease on I was having difficulty with fungus.   I couldn't find serpins in them.  I did find a paper evaluating the content of mediums used to grow fungus.  Mediums containing fish seemed to grow in a more thready root-like shape  whereas other mediums containing gluten caused a rounder morphology.  I did not find a documented mechanism of hyphal root growth of fungus specifically controlled by serpins.

What I was hoping to find was that fungal infections would change morphologies. If a serpin was present the mold -root growth would hault and it would switch to a  yeast morphology instead.  I was hoping to find the pathway already documented.  I couldn't even find serpins.  I started researching the evolution of serpins and it was not until eukaryotes appeared that serpins became abundant in the genetic code.  I am hoping that with so many serpins to choose from in eukaryotes that my growth pathway would be conserved in several.  That I could find the growth on and off growth mechanism of serpins in eukaryotes.  I decided to look for this in people.

 Which brings us to the end of the last blog focusing on maspin the breast cancer serpin.  When maspin is lost it causes the uncontrolled growth of cancer.  Yet a breast cell is not root like. Nerves on the other had are very root like. Nerves had a documented serpin called neuroserpin which did appear to be somehow involved with growth inhibition.  So i then started to look for a serine protease in nerves. I went looking for an on switch for nerve growth.  Interestingly the APP protein that becomes the amyloid plaque in Alzheimer's has no known normal function. The app protein is associated with nerve axon tips and has a serine protease in it.  So I started an entirely new theory using the same mechanism.  I am now hoping to find that the APP protein causes nerve growth and perhaps even how it does.  I am currently looking at HtlrA as a serine protease that helps extend microtubules the intracellular scaffold. Perhaps this is how the APP protein sitting in the membrane at the tip of the nerve's axon causes nerve root to extend toward other nerves. Possible?  

I apologize that I think so densely and cover so much material  so quickly.  I hope someone out there can follow me.  Perhaps over time with more blogging i will learn to expand and extrapolate on each idea enough that people will understand.  Does anyone out there follow me yet? Does anyone understand what  I am saying?

Angela Biggs





No comments:

Post a Comment