Friday, March 25, 2011

Milk, wheat, and eggs

see update on bottom...this hypothesis was wrong 

I have hesitated to start a blog but my lack of progress, writing in isolation, has made me realize I should at least try this format.

I have been trying to make sense of the patterns I see. I have been trying to develop reasonable theories to explain what i am seeing.

I have a theory that I developed involving serpins and serine proteases in the development of autoimmune disease. There are so many autoimmune diseases let me say that my theory rests in the area of overlap.  What they have in common. What i noticed first were the common triggers : wheat, egg, and milk.  How many autoimmune diseases can you associate with these?  Here's a start: celiac disease, type 1 diabetes, autism, ulcerative colitis, schizophrenia, crohn's, psoriasis, and eczema. Yes i am including eczema which has tradtionally been considered an allergy. I think allergies as an immune system error need to be included especially when the top allergies are: milk wheat, and eggs.
My instinct says something is going on here.  This is not just a leaky gut issue.  What do these trigger proteins have in common? How do they trigger the immune system? What are we missing here?
The protiens in milk, wheat, and eggs that have the most antibodies reacting are casein, gluten, and ovalbumin. Ovalbumin is a serine protease inhibitor, serpin for short. Which then leads us to the question how could a serpin trigger the immune system?
And gluten which is not a serpin...must look like one because we can see in Celiac disease the induction of antibodies.  Some forms of Celiac disease has been associated with Candida, is that relevant?
Eczema is milk and egg senstive and look worse when those foods are eaten. (i know my daughter had this)  The only infection found associated with eczema has been a form of staph not candida.  So we have different diseases with different culprits and we can't prove the infections are involved however I suspect the triggering mechanism might be the same.

I have more theory...but I will stop here. What do you think? Am I crazy? Do you see what I see?
Angela

After years of looking at the diseases that are gluten sensitive I have found that they are all barrier crossing infections. Infections that have the ability to cross the intestine or the blood brain barrier. The gluten crosses using the holes made by these infections and over stimulates the immune system.  

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I was recommended to take a look at this blog, and have decided that I want to just read through the whole thing. I found out in April 2013 that I had what we assume is a gluten intolerance. Since then I avoid wheat, rye, and barley and it fixes the problem. And of course, having this problem has made me very aware of a lot of other people with similar situations. Realizing how little seems to be set in stone knowledge about things like this made me very curious, and I am very fascinated by the direction you are taking it.
    Just a case I think you could find interesting: I know someone with milk, egg yolk, and potato allergies who also has endometriosis. From what I have read about endometriosis, it could also fall into the category of being an autoimmune disease, and from the time I have spent with her, her allergies and soy (specifically they think a compound in it similar to estrogen) can make her disease flare up. I wonder how connected these problems are?

    ReplyDelete